A complete guide on career aspirations for students
What are career aspirations? Do students often figure out the best career aspirations answers? Well, it’s easy to be confused about how to grow in your career. Most of the time, students after completing their senior years in school do not understand what course to pursue in their college years and are quite confused about their true calling.
Some common queries (in slightly different versions) that may pop up in their mind might include:
- What are my long term career aspirations?
- What is your ultimate objective in life?
- What are your career aspirations for next 1-3 years down the line?
The bottom line is, everything starts with you. It’s up to you to take control of your personal growth. But how? The answer is, mapping out a course and strategy to meet your career aspirations.
It is especially helpful early in your career since you won’t have to go back and retrace your steps afterward in life. So, are you at a complete standstill and finding it difficult to know what your next step towards your career should be? If so, it’s time to seriously consider mapping out your aspirations for career development.
This is exactly what our blog post will help you learn about along with providing its significance, and needs. Accordingly continue reading this article further to gain additional insights on the same. However, before we get into the depth of it do you know what the term career encompasses?
A career can be defined as an individual’s progress within an occupation or series of occupations. Although, a career is more than just a job, or working, or your occupation. It also includes your growth, your development through life, and your progress in the vocational and avocational part of life.
What’s the importance of career goals and aspirations?
It is essential for senior-level students to know more about Career Aspirations. Often time’s such students want to use these terms interchangeably but they are not the same thing.
A CAREER ASPIRATION is a path that you desire your career to follow. They are important because they provide you with the drive to achieve your goals and are much looser and tend to be more long-term.
A GOAL is a specific objective or milestone that is concrete. They should be specific so that you can reasonably tell when you have achieved them.
If students want to grow, they should start thinking (something related to their long-term and short-term career goals as well as objectives) about the future. Without goals to guide each career move you make, you’ll find yourself blank of any roadmap with which you can stand-to-reason of the path you are on. After all, how will you ever reach your purpose if you can’t even view precisely where it is?
Your future career aspirations must be both reasonable and achievable. If it is thought through effectively, they can provide you with a benchmark for identifying your career trajectory and how you are implementing it professionally.
Hence, it is very important to start thinking and identifying with respect to what are your career aspirations and set goals.
List of trending long term career aspirations examples for students to pursue in 2021 and beyond!
Hope you got clarity regarding – What are goals and aspirations? Now, let’s see this in action with some examples of career aspirations (such as career aspirations examples for software engineer as well as several others) and its objectives:
Example #1: Technology
Career Aspiration: Computer Science Engineer
- Objective 1: Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Software Engineering (Four Years)
- Objective 2: Earn a Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Software Engineering (Two Years, Optional)
- Objective 3: Gain Experience in Computer Engineering (One to Four Years)
- Objective 4: Become a Professional Engineer (PE) in Computer Engineering (Four Years or More)
Career Aspiration: Software Engineer/Developer
- Objective 1: Pursue Computer Science Related Fields and Degree
- Objective 3: Study Data Structures and Algorithms
- Objective 4: Enhance Your Skills (Upgrade Yourself with Software Updates and New Technologies)
- Objective 5: Design and Build Software or Projects
- Objective 6: Get into Internships (Attain Hands-On Industry Experience and Exposure)
- Objective 7: Apply for Job
Example #2: Medical
Career Aspiration: Doctor
- Objective 1: Do Well in High School
- Objective 2: Get into a Great College
- Objective 3: Take the NEET (and get a Good Score)
- Objective 4: Apply and get into Medical School
- Objective 5: Attend Medical School and Pass Your Boards to become a Licensed Doctor
- Objective 6: Choose Your Specialty and Complete Your Residency
- Objective 7: Take and Pass your Final Boards to Practice Independently
Example #3: Business
Career Aspiration: Entrepreneur
- Objective 1: Start Entry-Level Sales Job
- Objective 2: Get Promoted to Sales Manager
- Objective 3: Move Sideways to take a position in the Marketing Department
- Objective 4: Get Promoted to Senior Marketing Manager
- Objective 5: Earn MA Degree in Marketing
- Objective 6: Get Promoted to Vice President of Marketing
- Objective 7: Leave Company to Start Your Own Marketing Business
Example #4: Litigation
Career Aspiration: Lawyer
- Objective 1: Choose any Stream after Class 10th
- Objective 2: Pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (L.L.B)
- Pursuing Law After Class 12th (5-Year L.L.B Program) (Route 1)
- Take the Entrance Exam for 5-Year L.L.B Program
- Take the Entrance Exam for 3-Year L.L.B Program (Route 2)
- Take the Entrance Exam for 3-Year L.L.B Program
- Objective 3: Apply and get into Law School
- Objective 4: Secure a graduate degree in Law
- Objective 5: Pass the bar exam
- Objective 6: Work as a law associate at a firm
- Objective 7: Work for six to nine years before making partner
Example #5: Finance
Career Aspiration: Management Consultant
- Objective 1: Attain a Bachelor’s Degree (Four Years)
- Objective 2: Gain Initial Work Experience (Optional, Timeline Varies)
- Objective 3: Attain a Master’s Degree (One to Two Years)
- Objective 4: Develop Your Platform (Optional, Timeline Varies)
- Objective 5: Join a Professional Society and Achieve Professional Certification (Optional, Timeline Varies)
Career Aspiration: Financial Manager
- Objective 1: Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, or Accounting
- Objective 2: Get involved with Local Businesses and Apply their Classroom Learning to Real-Life Scenarios (Optional)
- Objective 3: Acquire a Master’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration or Finance (Mandatory)
- Objective 4: Gain Work Experience (Get an Internship related to Finance or Business Management)
- Objective 5: Obtain Professional Certification
- Prepare for CFA exams
- Become Certified as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Stay up-to-date
- Consider Becoming a Certified Public Accountant (Can be Helpful)
Example #6: Education
Career Aspiration: Guidance Counsellor
- Objective 1: Opt for any Stream with Psychology in Class 12th
- Objective 2: Pursue B.A/B.Sc in Psychology or Applied Psychology for 3 years
- Objective 3: Pursue M.A/M.Sc in Counselling Psychology/Psychology/Applied Psychology for 2 years
- Objective 4: Pursue a PG Diploma in Guidance and Counselling for 1 year (Optional Step)
- Objective 5: Obtain Practical Exposure to Career Counselling as possible, through Relevant Internships
- Objective 6: Additionally, acquire Certification to Enhance Your Skills as a Career Counsellor
All right, have you decided about where do you see yourself in 5 years time (career objectives and aspirations)? The above list of lifetime popular career aspirations examples along with its milestones will help you in considering your career after you graduate high school or college.
With that said, let’s now learn and understand:
Why is it essential for students to map their aspirations?
Deciding on your initial career may present a frightening and stressful prospect. Many students tend to perceive career decision-making as complex or even mysterious, only because they tend to focus on the results and overlook the decision-making and planning process. That’s where mapping out your career aspiration can be a major help.
By mapping out your personal career aspirations, it helps you to –
- Avoid Taking Jobs that Get You Nowhere
Chances are good that you’ll have at least some job changes over the course of your career. When you’re enticed to leave your present job for greener pastures, it helps to ask yourself one simple question: Will this progress my career in the direction that I want? If the answer is no, think over again prior to you jump ship.
- Bounce Back Quicker from Career Setbacks
Mapping out your career won’t make you immune to setbacks of the career. However, it can assist you to get back on track if your actual plans for the career are derailed. Getting laid off out of the blue can be super scary, but with a career strategy in place, you can pick up the bits immediately and come back stronger than before.
- Identify Gaps in Knowledge and Skills
Not sure what skills or training you require to advance to the next step towards your career? Mapping your career path takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation by helping you see which skills you need to reach your future career goals.
Thus, students, it is vital to determine and plan as to what are your career aspirations answers so that you pursue only the best career aspirations in the future.
How can future aspirations for students be mapped?
With the growing competition and the growth in career options, students these days are quite confused about discovering their true passion and talent. To achieve the career you aspire, you need to have a strategic career approach. Here are three successful ways that will aid in identifying student aspirations or educational aspirations of students for the long term:
Approach 1: Dermatoglyphics Multiple Intelligence Test (DMIT) or Multiple Intelligence Test
What is dmit test or multiple intelligence test? Is DMIT Authentic or should I rephrase the question to how accurate is dmit test? Having these queries in your mind? No worries here’s your answer:
DMIT is a scientific study of fingerprint patterns that aid in understanding an individual’s personality and capability. This technique has been developed by scientists and research experts from well-known universities around the world and is formulated on knowledge from Dermatoglyphics, Embryology, Genetics, Neuroscience, and Psychology.
Want to know more with reference to dmit fingerprint analysis, dmit benefits, or what are the benefits of Multiple intelligence test and How Dmit test is done or How does multiple intelligences help students?
Learn how to evaluate innate intelligence in-depth through, “The Ultimate Guide to DMIT TEST” and “Your Ultimate guide for Multiple Intelligence Test?“
Approach 2: Career Counselling
Career counselling emphasizes assisting students to realize themselves, as well as work trends, to make an informed decision about their career and education. The process of vocational counselling or career counselling for students is conducted by the advice of the best career counselor or vocational counselor that helps them in acquiring career suggestions, moral support, and exploring solutions for the problems such as low concentration levels to poor time management and trust issues with parents to non-agreement on career choice (How do I choose a career?).
Need to find out – How can career counselling help in future or want to opt for one of the best career counselling in india? Gain deep understanding now via: How important is career counselling for students?
Approach 3: Career Guidance
Career guidance is the approach used to help individuals (school/college students or professionals) choose their courses or career paths wisely. The student career guidance or career guidance for students process coordinated by educated (and experienced) mentor aims at helping them acquire the knowledge, information, skills, and experience essential to determine career options and to narrow them down to make one solid career decision.
Are you having doubts in regard to – What is the difference between career guidance and career counselling/What is importance of career guidance? Check out: Need of Career Guidance for Students.
Is your desire to select the best suitable career choice? Talk to our career guidance coach & get your career/college queries solved in an instant with a career guidance test.
Takeaway: 5 Steps to Include while Mapping Out Your Career Ambitions with an Effective Career Plan
Below are some helpful steps to guide you in crafting a career plan customized to your ambitions and interests:
- Identify Your Career Options
Craft a refined list of career alternatives by examining your interests, skills, and values through self-evaluation. Limit your career alternatives by assessing career information, researching firms, and communicating with professionals in the field. You can further limit your list when you take part in experiences like volunteering, shadowing, and internships.
It’s not enough to list alternatives. You have to prioritize. What are your top skills? What intrigues you the most? What’s most significant to you? Whether it’s intellectually demanding work, family-friendly benefits, the correct location, or a big paycheck, it helps to realize what matters to you – and what’s a deal-breaker.
- Make Comparisons
Compare your most promising career alternatives against your list of prioritized interests, skills, and values.
- Craft Your Career Action Plan
It’s significant to be realistic about expectations and timelines. Write down specific action steps to take to attain your goals and help yourself stay organized. Mark them off as you complete them, but feel free to amend your career action plan as needed. Your goals and priorities may alter, and that’s perfectly okay.
- Meet with a Career Advisor
Our advisors are here to help you make effective decisions based on your career. Make an appointment on MyCareerBuddha to talk about your career options and concerns.
To sum up, if you want to progress in today’s profession you will need to take a close look at your career ambitions and decide which are good to have and which may be detrimental. (Want to assess your skills and interests to identify your ambitions? Set up an appointment with “MyCareerBuddha” to take advantage of dermatoglyphic multiple intelligence test, career guidance test, and vocational counseling services). So, students, you need to reflect and question yourself.
What is vital in your life? What do you like to do? Which areas do you specialize in and are good at? Which areas do you not specialize in and are not good at? What are your personal strengths and weaknesses? Unless you are unable to answer these questions you cannot set career goals to meet your aspirations.
Therefore know what you want, possess a burning desire, faith, knowledge, imagination as well as persistence, and craft a plan. These are the key steps for achieving career ambitions.
We do hope this article has motivated you with good enough responses to answer your queries concerning what are your career aspirations? Best of luck in figuring out your career aspirations!!!
If you found this article convenient, you might also like:
1 thought on “3 successful ways to map career aspirations for students”
I savor, cause I discovered just what I used to be having a look for.
You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have
a nice day. Bye